Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Wednesday 21st May - 7:15 pm local time

Got my promotion!


Yabba dabba dooooo!!! I got released/discharged/evicted/ promoted back to civilian life this afternoon. Took a predictably long time to get all the docs signed and prescription done etc. Joel came and picked me up and took me home via the chemist where I got my scrip all sorted.

Certainly a nice feeling walking back in the front door. Joel let Blue (our jumbo-sized dog) in the back door and I took the opportunity to hide and surprise him (Blue, not Joel!). Blue was suitably (and gratifyingly) pleased to see me after two and a half weeks. Ella and Max (2 of the 3 cats) were also very welcoming. Sophie (#3) left her entree until later. Mum came in from her Granny flat at the back and we celebrated with a cup of tea which was significantly better than the warm Arcoroc versions I've grown oddly accepting of during recent times!

I have been told I can start to reuse the leg and don't need top keep it up like I've been faithfully doing day in, day out. I'll just have to watch I don't do too much too soon (extremely tempting!). Soon after arriving home I had a little session on the 'beast' (Korg OASYS keyboard) for which I'd certainly been feeling the absence from). It was nice to re-connect and just enjoy the feeling and satisfaction of making my own kind of music. I look forward to more...

Managed to get spuds peeled and cooked and beef caserole thawed (thanks so much, Christine!) and heated, along with nice warm fire lit all before Jeanette arrived home. I couldn't stand the thought of her coming in to a dark empty house and having to face all that again. At least tonight, there is no rapid turn around and then back out to visit me in hospital.

Yesterday, I had no Dr's visit during the ward rounds and by evening meal time figured I might just have been missed out! (Oh, the joys of hyperbole - Greg and Zoe?). Kev Harper came in to visit after work (and my dinner) and we were having a good old yarn when suddenly Mike Hanlon and Mike Van Niekerk (orthopedic surgeons) appeared unexpectedly at the end of my bed and did the proverbial "Site Inspection" (ProVision Technologies 'speak'). Fortunately they were both suitably impressed with progress on the wound site and said I was cleared for take off. Yowza!!!

Despite that, it was still around 2:30 today when I finally taxied down the Transition Lounge drive/runway and took off. Nice feeling though!

I'm about to trawl back through the home a/c emails which I understand will be a fairly serious mission. Please understand any tardiness shown in responding in my usual prompt and efficient (not to mention humble?) fashion.

Again, a huge thankyou to all for the enormous level of support and prayers and cheering-on from the sidelines. The effect is very real and certainly quite tangible. I/we really appreciate greatly. You're an awesome bunch of friends, family, colleagues, whanau, etc.

1 Comments:

Blogger David Garratt said...

Great Bruce, interesting how the little things of life become so wonderful. Makes us want to appreciate them all.
God bless and give you all your strength back

love

Dale David and Mindy

May 22, 2008 at 10:42 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home