Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Starship for Grandad this time?

On Monday 2nd I rocked up to the 5th Floor at the hospital for my CT scan. The person behind the counter was saying they didn't have me on the list for a 2:00 apptointment. I must have looked suitably surprised. They did a cross reference on my patient number and with only the merest hint of a smirk told me I was due next door at the Starship (Kids Hospital) CT Scanner at 2:00. At least I had arrived in time to get from one to the other. Apparently their respective facilities cover for each other's patients when required.

The staff at Starship were great and we joked about how old and large at least one of their kid patients was looking today. I said if I'd known it was going to be there, I could have brought my 89-yr old Mum along to keep me under control and sign my consent form.

The CT scanner looked just the same as what I'm used to, except it was adorned with cartoon fish stickers. There was a painted mural on the wall depicting child astronauts doing a space walk. The scan itself was the same old routine - no problem.

Then came the real surprise. I was presented with ... a lollipop. That never happened after any of the other CT, MRI or PET scans I've had over the last year and a half. Maybe I should ask to come back here next time?

I'll update the blog once there is any news on the scan results.

Life continues to be full and busy and generally pretty good.

Little Tyler is starting to make good progress with the swallowing reflexes now. Over the last few days he has been able to take a bottle (slowly) and thus manage without the nasal tube and pump routine. He is also enjoying early solids and seems to be getting the swallowing and epiglottus stuff sorted bit by bit.

Anyone wanting a kitten in about 6 or 8 weeks should contact Claire, as their young cat has just had kittens last night.

* * * * * * *

Police arrested two kids yesterday, one was drinking battery acid, and the other was eating fireworks. They charged one and let the other one off.

You know, somebody actually complimented me on my driving today. They left a little note on the windscreen. It said, 'Parking Fine.' So that was nice.

A man walked into the doctors, he said, 'I've hurt my arm in several places' The doctor said, 'Well don't go there anymore'

Ireland's worst air disaster occurred early this morning when a small two-seater Cessna plane crashed into a cemetery. Irish search and rescue workers have recovered 1826 bodies so far and expect that number to climb as digging continues into the night.

Cheers
Bruce
bbremner@ihug.co.nz

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home