Tuesday, May 27, 2008

R went well...CHOP tomorrow

Well, I'm pleased to report that today went...well.

They started things off pretty quietly (slowly) and kept monitoring my temp and blood pressure every half hour and gradually kept ramping up the drip speed over the time I was there watching for any ill effects. (Just as well they didn't try ramping it up after I'd gone home, I guess). Didn't experience any nausea; no fever; no shivvers; no throat discomfort which they were on the lookout for. They did have a bit of fun getting a satisfactory lure installation. Apparently my veins, though easy to locate, were rather hard/tough. When I explained I'd been mainlining 2gms of Fluclox (apparently 'hard' on the veins) twice a day fro 2 1/2 weeks, they suspected that may have had something to do with it.

I hope tomorrow goes as easily! To my left today was a very nice couple from Waiheke. She was having her last CHOP today and has done very well on it. Apart from hair loss, she said she has had virtually no side effects other than feeling tried. The anti-nausea drugs seem to be quite effective she thought. There was a minor celebration at 4:30 when the drip lure was finally taken out of her arm for the last time.

I have had a sore right ankle since Sunday. On Monday I spoke to Haematology Dr about it in case it was significant i.e. a further tumor like at the top of the tibia. Possible, but not necessarily so. I have probably tweeked it somehow over the weekend I guess. It doesn't like being used a lot for any great length of time. Was quite sore yesterday afternoon/evening. Was given medication for it which by this morning seemed to worked well. I'd iced it a lot Monday night. However, today the parking at the hospital was worse than usual and I ended up with a long walk from near the Cricket Grandstand to the Oncology/Haematology Block, and the reverse trip again on the way home. The morning walk was OK but late afternoon one wasn't so tranquil. I've got it up as I type with a bag of ice draped around it and have had another allopurinol(?) (1 per day).

Tonight we dined on delicious apricot chicken, thanks to the generous efforts of the Angel Food crew at St Pauls. Very much appreciated, thank you very much! Thanks too to Graham & Julie for your wonderful delivery tonight!

I have another plan for the parking logistics tomorrow and will report back as to whether it worked or not!

Thanks again so much for all the great expressions of support and love etc.

P.S. My good friends Sel & Ruth Martin pointed out a very funny listing on TradeMe currently for a big wooden wardrobe which they would like to buy, except it is too far away for them. (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=157255196&
permanent=0) which, if you appreciate the slightly zany and whacky type of humour which I'm partial to, is well worth a look. Then read through the Q and A with Sel's funny questions and the vendor's wonderful replies for many more laughs. Last night I couldn't resist joining in ("jeanetteb" on TradeMe) and it continues to get even sillier. Dosen't end until Friday so plenty of time to join in!

Cheers,
Bruce

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some great laughs in that auction Q&A... Sara and I loved it. cheers!

June 19, 2008 at 9:28 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home