Friday, May 23, 2008

Time for the CHOP

Today, Friday at 1:30, I had a meeting with two of the Haematology Drs regarding staging and where to from here etc. Despite Jeanette previously informing you all (guessing actually) that there were 5 stages, there are in fact only 4. I had already figured that mine was stage 4 having read the definitions of each. If it was just the lymphoma with nothing elsewhere (like my leg bone) it would have been stage 3. Fortunately stage 4 does respond well to the chemo.

They are wanting to start my chemo (“CHOP" therapy – an acronym for the 4 x drugs/poisons/paint strippers/weed killers which they use) on Wednesday. I was very pleased to learn that they can indeed include me in the programme which adds an R to the mix, namely "R-CHOP". The Rituximab adds a much more precise and targeted aspect to the chemo resulting in a lot less collateral damage. Sounds good to me! This costs $5000 per treatment, which will cost Michael Cullen about $35k. The other day it was uncertain as to whether this was going to be funded for my particular version of lymphoma. Fortunately, it is. Yay!

They have also offered me the chance to have another drug added to the mix, again from the same company, and they have given me a bunch of stuff to read and research on during the weekend. At this point I can see a bunch of reasons to do it, and another bunch of reasons not to. Hopefully I’ll get a handle on it so as I can make an informed decision.

We're about to drive up to Algies Bay for a quiet "veg out" at Dad & Nola's bach. We can just kick back and admire the view and relax and read and chat etc. Unfortunately, we'll probably be off line for the next couple of days.

Ciao
Bruce & Jeanette



1 Comments:

Blogger NaniAnne said...

Hi Bruce and Jeanette,
I really don't know what to say except that we love you and will do anything to help you through this. We will pray. The only thing I am unshakeably certain of is that your precious life is in The Lord's hands and nothing or no-one can take it unless He allows it. I know (without any doubt) that we can trust Him, even though sometimes I am blowed if I know what he is thinking. We love you heaps, Anne xxoo

May 24, 2008 at 9:47 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home