Thursday, June 17, 2010

First Day all went well...

I rocked up to the Haemotology Ward this morning all ready to go at 8:00. There were a few hold-ups (out of their control) at the Hospital end of things, including the chemo supplier having been slow with their delivery of my 'cocktail'. (The 'B' part of the B.E.A.M. regime).

Had a catch up with Lois van Wardenburg in the Whanau Room - to our mutual surprise. Later, Gerald woke up and I went to his (adjoining) ward and had a few minutes with him which was good.

The excellent nursing staff got me all hooked up by about 2:00 and the infusion went without a hitch (no headaches or hot flushes as they said often can happen). I explained that I hadn't yet hit menopause!

Home for nice dinner and off to a small group thing tonight. Tonight will be the last sleep in my own bed for a while. I check in tomorrow morning again at 8:00 and get the first day of the 'E' part of the BEAM. In the evening I get the 'A' component. These two are repeated for a few days.

We have Claire & Chris's joint birthday party at our place on Saturday. Rosie will be banished for the day, and I'll stay on the hospital and avoid the risk of any unwanted but well-meaning infections which on the law of averages are pretty likely to be around with a group of 40 people.

I have my own room in the isolation part of the ward. Certainly better and nicer than the usual 4-bed jobs.

Thanks for the messages of support etc. Always much appreciated, even if I can't get to answer or acknowledge all of them.

Cheers
Bruce

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi there Bruce, just read your latest blog. Glad to hear its all going well so far. Good news about the PICC line settling down too. I gather you have your laptop with you, thats good. Hope you arent feeling too uncomfortable.. our thoughts and prayers are with you love from Pru Freider and hubbby

June 17, 2010 at 9:32 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Thinking of you.... glad it went so well.... Philippa

June 18, 2010 at 11:37 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home